Sunday, December 6, 2009

Preparation before the Phone Conference

So, Anita and Henry (two applicants who also applied for the James Bradley scholarship), received letters from YFU stating that they did not win the scholarship. This seriously irritates me considering how they are both totally worthy of the scholarship award--plus they both received results before any other applicants I know of. As of now, me and Natalie (sorry for not mentioning these people before! I am actually in contact with many exchange students heading to Japan next year) are the only applicants yet to be determined as scholarship winners...apprehensive.

However, I did receive a letter in the mail containing various preparation papers, and some information on the phone conference taking place this upcoming Friday (12/11, according to my Japan calendar wink wink ;) ), which is super exciting!! I have a departure checklist, with advisable objectives to accomplish before leaving the country--such as, getting my passport (obviously I have that, going to Germany every year), small gifts for the host family, cleaning up my affairs...lmao wink wink, and making arrangements with my school for credits and required subjects. Speaking of credits, I have actually been fulfilling any confusion regarding that these past several months, by making arrangements with the guidance office and having meetings with various school officials etc. (This is advisable for any prospective exchange students by the way). -->I am planning to take Oceanography from January to June through Virtual High School for half a Science credit, and from September to January I hope to take an Algebra II/Geometry class for half a Math credit, again through Virtual High School. Currently I am also taking American History through BYU Independent Study (of course I would never slack off on this....>_>) since I dropped AP US History as it was essentially killing me. Plus, I will be gone during the AP Testing term, so there is no real point in taking an Advanced Placement class this year. The thought of class taking in Japan is still one of my major worries though (I believe I have mentioned this in every post). Math is the epitome of my dislike for school. 幾何学が嫌いよ!高校が大嫌い理由は数学授業だ。 :)

Oh, something else I found in my preparation papers I found hilarious, was that they were apparently directed towards students coming to America as exchange students. For instance, I received a paper titled: How To Be A Lovable Exchange Student, and it lists advice such as: "Study English and try to speak it as much as possible" and "Realize that you have assumptions about American life and culture, and that some of them might be wrong". lol, I laughed

So anyway, I will probably post again once I am revealed as a scholarship winner or not. Considering I am going to need several thousand $ of spending money...I really hope I win the scholarship. I will need a lot of money for when I travel to Korea during one of my Japanese school vacations. I have always seriously wanted to go, and I am currently self-teaching the language alongside Japanese! 韓国に旅行したい :)


Thank you for reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. I got the EXACT same letter. It is funny how they misdirected some of the things to people coming to the USA instead.

    School trip to Korea? How common is that? I hope the school I go to has it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't mean a school trip, but if it was, that seriously would be awesome!!
    Meeting up in Korea :D We will be seeing each other in March though, taking the same plane over to Japan. They usually put everyone on the same flight I believe

    ReplyDelete